Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

January Book Review: A Lineage of Grace

A Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers

This book includes five chapters, each a different story of a woman in Christ’s lineage. Unveiled, the first chapter, is about Tamar, the daughter-in-law of Judah. This story made me appreciate what a wonderful husband I have and how thankful I am to be able to choose my own future. Unashamed, is the story of Rahab. It reminded me that no matter your past, God’s plan for your future is greater than you could ever imagine. Unshaken, the story of Ruth, Naomi & Boaz, was by far my favorite. It is a wonderful love story. Unspoken, the story of Bathsheba and David was vivid and captivating. Finally, the fifth chapter, Unafraid, was the story of Mary, the mother of Jesus. I enjoyed it, but have to say it was my least favorite of the five. I think I had very high expectations which this last chapter did not meet. I think it was mainly Mary’s character and internal dialogue that I was unhappy about. She seemed very impatient and tense through the second half of the story. I think I will try to read it again and see if I like it better at second glance.

"Ruth and Boaz" by Dore, 1870.


I really loved this book. I mean really, really loved it. It happened to sync together with my daily Bible readings. (I’m reading the entire Bible, in chronological order, in a year.) My Bible readings gave me a good background while reading the book. I’m not well versed in Bible stories and have only really started learning them in my adult years. I may not have them memorized as I would if I had studied them as a child, but I feel I do have an advantage in that I can comprehend, analyze and better appreciate them now that I am older.

This book gave me a real appreciation for the old testament and peaked my interest in the parts of the Bible that lack any real detail. It allowed me to see the depth and importance to some stories that I may have otherwise passed over. They are obviously of importance or they wouldn’t have been included, but they can often be lost in the historical accounts of so-and-so begat so-and-so…

I give January’s book 4 ½ stars!

For next month’s book, I’m considering The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics. It is a collection of the works of C.S. Lewis including Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Abolition of Man, The Great Divorce, The Problem of Pain, Miracles & A Grief Observed.

OR I may go out and buy something completely different!

No comments:

Post a Comment